Sitting direction...HELP!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sitting direction...HELP!

Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years, 1 month ago #28511

• mollyfranc
  • Junior Boarder
Dear all classical feng shui experts,

I am in need of help with determining the sitting direction of my house. It's either NE or SW.

My house is located on a hill. The road (a quiet residential street) leading up to the house leads up to the only entrance from the street and this entrance faces NE and is on the upper level of the house. Stairs descend to the lower level with the garden.
The living areas (lower level) and bedrooms (upper level) are both on the opposite side from the main door and they look onto the large back garden which faces SW with a view down the hill looking on a bay. This SW facing side of the house has large windows & patio doors leading to the garden with a pool at the end. There is sunlight in both the SW and NE facing sides, both are bright.

I would say the house sits SW & faces NE because the residential road leading to the house faces NE and the back garden is opposite. But from the analogy of the arm chair (in the idiots guide to FS), it says the sitting direction is where the back (dragon/hillside/mountain) is and the facing direction is the opposite direction, so this would suggest the house sits NE & faces SW. Higher up on the hill (where the house is located) is a main road (not a highway, but a fairly busy 2 lane road).

Some sources I've read say the mountain trumps the water/roads which trump the open space/garden. Other sources I've read say to add up the number of true points (eg: for facing direction there would be: main door, street, big windows, most sunlight etc.) and to see which comes out stronger (sitting or facing). Doing it like this, I'm getting opposing results.

I'm moving in to the house soon, so I can't tell from past experience. I have attached floor plans of upper & lower levels to help.

Please help, I'm stuck ! Thank you very much

image_2015-05-02.jpg

image_2015-05-02-2.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by mollyfranc.

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years, 1 month ago #28610

• Wind
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi mollyfranc,

The correct reading of the decision on the direction of buildings is important since it is the main factor in determining the Trigrams and numerals charts flying stars, any mistake made in this step will cause all further analysis irrelevant. For buildings which are architectural foundation supports regularity forms the procedure for determining the direction of viewing and recognition is usually a simple process in which the position of the main entrance and the general orientation directly indicate convicted provision and thus the trigram old Taoist masters have thought that a line of sight that place is open to the most open space, offering the widest view, but if you try apply this criterion problem occurs if the object instance has two - three by the wide view or in buildings irregular basis or complex structures with several entrances and then require a detailed analysis of how environment and the area before making a final decision. There are a number of guidelines to judge their own situation, and some guidelines to keep in mind before you consider other factors:

-consideration of the viewing direction designated as the main front door (it is necessary to fit into the main entrance building and looking outwards to establish a line of sight that door, this is one of the directions, called lines of sight buildings)

-front facade building facing toward the main access road, as this is one of the possible maximum yang energy sources; therefore, although the main entrance is oriented in another direction you are taking this as the direction of orientation of buildings

-if a criterion set to "mouth" buildings are doors that are most frequently used by the user then by definition the main gate and direction read on the site can be considered viewing direction

-last passage and yard usually corresponds to the direction of providing

-frequent traffic and large windows may indicate the viewing direction

-distribution of individual rooms within housing units can assist in determining the direction of stretching and viewing yang areas usually coincide with the direction of view, while the yin field usually placed towards the provision, and also the organization itself elements of furniture can be an indicator

In order to make reasoned choices and decide on the direction of providing a given building is necessary to understand the whole plan and the visual evaluation to the building and structures in the immediate nearness. Determining the correct direction of view is important not only because the flying star natal chart of a building based on the direction of view, but also because the direction of its provision stems from the direction of view and also the trigram. Directorate of providing the direction in which the structure extends to the yin side of the housing unit is considered to be the opposite of the direction of view and its determination requires astute observation, thorough approach and patience.

Large windows and doors are "the eyes of the home," but the main entrance is decisive for the line of sight. In your case facing direction would be NE and the sitting direction is SW, I agree with your opinion.

I would ask you to send the following information: year of construction of the house, Kua numbers of your family who lives in the house, floor plan for both floors in particular, correctly reading the compass for the upper floor at the main entrance to the lower floor on the landing above the first step when you coming down to the lower floor. These are two cards schedule Ch
i energy in the house.

It would be good to put footage from Google Earth (because it is the mountains and there are probably levels).

housedirection.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Wind. Reason: wrong word

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years, 1 month ago #28615

• mollyfranc
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you wind,

I've attached the google image, you can just see the road outline, it hadn't been built at that time.
And the plans. The entrance from the street is on the upper level with bedrooms. The lower level looks on to the sea below (SW direction). The compass direction looking out from the front door is NE and the direction on the last step to the lower level is SW.
I thought that the fact it has a mountain behind and open space in front that that would also be a factor making the sitting NE instead of SW, is that true?
Kua numbers are 7 & 8

image_2015-05-12.jpg

image_2015-05-12-2.jpg

image_2015-05-12-3.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by mollyfranc.

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years, 1 month ago #28618

• Wind
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi mollyfranc,

You forgot - compass direction in degrees and the year of building your house.

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years, 1 month ago #28621

• mollyfranc
  • Junior Boarder
Oh sorry!
Degrees is NE 37 degrees, SW 217, Building finished 2015.

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years, 1 month ago #28685

• Wind
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi mollyfranc,

Sorry because you wait, I have a lot of work these days, but I have not forgotten about you. I ask you to be patient and wait a few days.

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years ago #28857

• Wind
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi mollyfranc,

Thank you for your patient. This is natal chart for your home with
good directions for you and with basic informations.

I sent you Flying stars combination for your home as soon as posible.

Once again, sorry for waiting.

1. Flying Star charts

mollikarta-f.jpg

It is a period 8 home, facing 37 degrees, for the month/year May6-Jun5/2015. Your home has been divided into 9 sections, each section has 5 stars (numbers). Here is a typical section;

kombinacija.jpg

• Mountain (upper left), does not change over time
• Water (upper right), does not change over time
• Base (middle) does not change over time
• Yearly (lower right) changes every year
• Monthly (lower left) changes every month

tab-molili-02.jpg

We cannot generalize basic properties of the 9 Stars and classify each of them into either good or bad portents. Still, to give you a first idea, here are the Stars in their basic temperament, although with a wink to Period 8 portents, yet leaving out any and all factors of influence. Factors can change an otherwise fortunate Star into unfavorable v.v..

There are no generalizations ("One Cure Fits All") in Classical Chinese Feng Shui

During Period 8 (2004-2024), Star 8 will be Wang, prevailing, the emperor. It is the Noble Qi. During Period 8, Star 8 is the prime Qi, it is Wang. Star 9 is upcoming, so it is in its phase of Sheng. Star 1 is future Sheng Qi, distant future benevolence. Star 7 is in retreat, so it is in its phase of Tui. All other Stars have their own specific temperament according to factors of Time, Space and Use.

Simply follow these basic steps:

• Activate the section of your home that has the lucky number 8 in the Mountain position with stillness and earth elements. Use a large boulder, a stone wall outside your home, quartz crystal, picture of a mountain.

• Activate the section of your home that has the lucky number 8 in the Water position with movement and water elements. A water fountain inside...

• Drain the unlucky Earth Stars 2 and 5 in the Mountain and Water positions with metal, like a 6 hollow rod brass windchime.

Positive and negative house energies

In every house there are four good directions (life enhancing) and four detrimental areas (life depleting). The center sector is directionless, no a Trigram. The directions are rank ordered from the most beneficial or Yang enegies (+4) to themost determental or Yin (-4). Know the house Trigram so that zou can identify the four corresponding life enhancing directions.

bestdirectionsyanjihoboje.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Wind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mollyfranc

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years ago #28870

• mollyfranc
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you very much for all that info, I really appreciate it
Can I ask the reason you chose NE as facing direction and not SW?
Thank you!

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years ago #28874

• Wind
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi mollyfranc,

Sitting and Facing is one of the most advanced principles of Traditional Feng Shui, and is based on the concept that a building has both a Yin part (direction), and a Yang part (direction). The Tai Chi symbol (at the right) illustrates the concept. The Yang (white) indicates the front or Facing direction and is represented by the arrow. The Yin (black) indicates the back or Sitting direction and is represented the Chinese symbol for mountain.

I have put together some criteria to help understand the basic concepts of Sitting and Facing as used in Traditional Feng Shui, as well as what to do when you can’t determine the Sitting or Facing of a building.

There are two simple rules:

1.The Kitchen Rule for Houses.

Typically, the kitchen indicates the sitting of a home. Most tract houses face the street and have kitchens in the back. After checking with a compass we find that the house Faces NE while Sitting is in the SW, and the SW represents the Trigram Kun.

Here is another example of the Kitchen Rule. I placed the Tai Chi symbol on the floor plan to emphasize the relationship of Yin and Yang to house’s Sitting and Facing directions. Notice that this home Sits in the SW with has a Kun Trigram.

yin-yang.jpg

2. The Facing Rule

Sometimes its easier to determine the facing of a building and work backwards. In those situations ask yourself:

What was the architect's intention? How did the architect envision the building to face?

Typical examples of such situations are ocean front homes or homes with spectacular views where the architect has designed the home to accent the view. After you’ve chosen the Facing, then add or subtract 180 degrees from that direction, and use that as the criteria for the Sitting. Exaple, your compass tell you that the buldinhg is facing at 37 degrees, add 180. The building is Sitting 217 degrees, wich indicates that it is a Kun Trigram.

The front door does not automatically determine anything! It is just one of many other factors to be taken into consideration while analyzing the layout and design of a building.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mollyfranc

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years ago #28875

• mollyfranc
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you again for your explanations.
On the picture where you show the facing direction with the long red arrow, that is the SW facing side of my house where all the big windows are, with the view onto the sea below. My front door entrance, is facing NE, so facing back up the mountain.
Does that maybe mean that my house really faces SW? (I don't mean for you to re-do the calculations, but I'd just like to be sure). My kitchen is located SE, so it's kind of in the middle & to the side, not front or back.
Thank you again.

Re: Sitting direction...HELP! 3 years ago #28972

• Wind
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi mollyfranc,

The main door is the "mouth " at home , physical boundaries in relation to the external environment .

Windows are the " eyes " , but through them you do not jump into a home .

In the picture which you provided did not indicate coordinates , this is reason that why I thought it was so oriented facade , and enclosing a correction.

Your home has two levels and you did not provide measurements for the second level where the kitchen is.
Chart of Flying stars refers to the upper floor which is on the plan and me applied .
Each floor has a different distribution.

Combining direction entrance with your star at birth indicates that you need to cultivate a balance in social relations and easy manners and you get the help you need. Construction job of arts activities will be successful if you enter in this as a partner. If you are alone you will find a partner , marriage is recommended.

If on the other hand you choose to continue on your own , your friendship will be interrupted , progress will be slow and not enough money . In the end, however, your luck will turn for the better.

So Molly , that's it . I wish you all the best .
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds